Write a 900-1200 word essay on ONE of the topics below. This assignment must include quotations from the assigned readings or films to support your ideas. In addition, you must use TWO outside, scholarly sources in this essay. Please also use in-text citations and complete a works cited page, according to MLA guidelines.
Use a New Historicist approach to examine the readings from Asia, Africa, OR Russia. In this essay, describe ways in which your chosen location’s literature from the modern era reflects its history and philosophical ideas. You must focus on at least one of the written works assigned during weeks three through five. You may also discuss the assigned film(s), but that is not required.
Please remember the following:
- Avoid any and all summary sites within your essay. This includes Sparknotes, Shmoop, Cliff’s Notes, and Wikipedia (among others).
- Use MLA format and citations in this essay. Also, please write this essay using the objective third-person point of view.
- You may not use any wording from previous essays or forums.
- Note that the works cited page and headings are not included in the page count. Please use one-inch margins, do not add extra spaces between paragraphs, and use 12 font Times New Roman.
- Scholarly sources generally come from academic journals and have been examined by experts in the field for accuracy. A wonderful place to look for such sources is the APUS Library databases.
- Make sure your essay has a clear introduction and thesis statement (specific, narrow topic + an opinion on the topic) at the end of your introduction paragraph. The thesis should be based on the readings in this course.
- Make sure your body paragraphs are focused on proving your thesis statement. Do not summarize the readings.
- Be sure that your thesis expresses an analytical thought and is not just a statement of simple fact or plot summary.
- Make sure to have a conclusion that does not bring in new information and doesn’t repeat what you’ve already said.
by Chinua Achebe
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, Chapter Three. This work can be found on Project Gutenberg. Search for Heart of Darkness.
Achebe, Chinua. York University. June 2013. Web. 25 Mar. 2016.