Develop a 3–4-page educational plan to help improve the health and welfare needs of a vulnerable population in your community. In your plan, include the demographics of your community and the health care needs of the selected vulnerable population.
- Read the scenario below.
- Reflect on your community and review the literature to obtain recent demographic information regarding population, age, gender, socio-economic status, education, ethnic distribution, types of diseases, and morbidity and mortality rates.
- Once you have gathered this data you should be able to determine what the greatest health care needs are in your community and select an at-risk population that could benefit from a health education program.
- Search for scholarly and professional peer-reviewed articles on your selected health issue. Examining the nursing literature will help to identify how to approach the health concern that should be addressed within the selected population. You will need at least four articles to use as support for your lesson plan.
The Patient Outreach department where you work has asked you to create an education plan for an at-risk population that is underserved in your community.
As an active member of your community you are aware of several health disparities among the population; some members have difficulty accessing care, others have little knowledge of their chronic disease process, and often cultural issues influence medical care.
Patient Outreach would like you to select a group and create a lesson plan that will help educate them and help them better understand how to manage or prevent illness or disease. Consider characteristics of culture, ethnicity, and social background that might affect the target group.
The population you choose could be a subset such as the elderly, an ethnic minority, a lower socio-economic group, or one that you have identified from your own observations. Some examples might be producing a lesson plan on how to manage diabetes or how to decrease the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases.
Create a lesson plan for your selected population. Be sure you identify the population your lesson is meant for. As you develop your lesson plan, keep in mind the comprehension level of your target audience and the information you want them to take away. Include the following:
- Explain why a specific population in your community qualifies as at-risk.
- Recommend evidence-based strategies to improve health outcomes for this at-risk group.
- Describe health care resources that serve this vulnerable population.
- Explain appropriate nursing interventions that will provide quality care to this vulnerable population.
- Create strategies to support plan implementation, addressing characteristics of culture, ethnicity, and social background that could affect the plan.
- Write between 1000 and 1250 words (4–5 pages).
- Include a title page and reference page.
- Provide adequate documentation of ideas and appropriate APA citations of relevant literature.
- Use a minimum of 4 references. (These must be recent, from within the past five years.)
- Double space, and use Times New Roman font, 12 point.