G. H. is a 26-year-old male who was involved in a serious motorcycle accident that fractured his vertebrae and compressed his spinal cord at the level of T8. Answer the following questions:
- What is spinal shock? How long can it last? Why is it difficult to determine the degree of injury and impairment during this time frame?
- Immediately after this injury, what should you expect to occur for each of the following:
- Range of movement for his arms? For his legs? Why?
- Spastic or flaccid paralysis? Why?
- Bowel and/or bladder dysfunction? Why or why not?
- Breathing difficulties? Why or why not?
- After the period of spinal shock, what changes should you expect to see (if any) in the manifestations listed in #2 above?
- What type of rehabilitative treatments might G. H. need to promote his recovery and return to function?
- If G. H. has mild-to-moderate chronic back pain one year after his accident, explain the pain management medications you would suggest to improve his quality of life and why you selected those particular medications.